If you love your truck, then you know how important it is to keep up with maintenance. But what happens when you need a power stroke engine replacement? And just how much is it going to cost? In the rest of this blog post, I will tell you everything you need to know. Keep reading
What is a 6.4 Powerstroke engine?
The 6.4L Powerstroke is a V-8 turbocharged Diesel engine developed by International Navistar that is utilized in Ford Super Duty vehicles. The 6.4L Powerstroke was introduced in 2003 as an update to the7.3
The 6.4L Powerstroke was developed jointly between Navistar and Ford Motor Company with the goal of creating a more powerful, more efficient powertrain than the 7.3L Power Stroke while maintaining compatibility with existing 7.3L parts and components where possible (such as transmissions).
The original 6.4 L Power Stroke produced 350 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque when it debuted in 2003.
How much does it cost to replace a 6.4 Powerstroke engine?
The average cost of replacing a 6.4 Powerstroke engine is around $7,000-$10,000 depending on where you live and what kind of shop does the work for you. This price does not include labor costs or any parts that may need to be replaced during the process.
Is a rebuilt 6.4 Power Stroke reliable?
There are many factors that play into whether or not your rebuilt 6.4 Power Stroke will be reliable or not:
- Who rebuilt your engine? If you did your research properly when choosing a shop to rebuild your engine then you should have no problem with them doing an adequate job of rebuilding it properly and making sure they remove all of the bad parts before installing new parts into your engine.
- How well did they clean up their work area after they completed the work on your engine? If they left oil drips or other contaminants in their work area then there is a good chance that some of this dirt and oil will end up inside of your engine when you start it back up again. This can lead to premature wear of bearings, seals, and other internal components.
- What parts did you use? The parts that are used can make or break an engine rebuild job, especially when dealing with a 6.4 Power Stroke. It’s important to use only quality parts that have been tested over time and proven to be reliable by many other owners before them so that you don’t end up with any issues down the road due to faulty parts being installed into your truck by mistake by someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing (or doesn’t care enough).
Can a 6.4 be a good engine?
Yes, the 6.4 is a good engine. It has more torque, more power, and runs better than the 6.0. The only problems with it are that it’s expensive to repair and parts are harder to come by, so there aren’t many common parts between it and its predecessor – which means that if your truck needs a new head gasket, for example, it’s not likely going to be cheap or easy to find one for a reasonable price.
How many miles is a 6.4 Power Stroke good for?
A 6.4 Power Stroke is good for about 230,000 miles if it has been well taken care of. This is a general number and it can vary based on the driving conditions and the maintenance that has been performed.
The engine in a 6.4 Power Stroke is designed to last for 250,000 miles or more, but it may need to be replaced sooner than that if it has not been taken care of properly.
The following information will help you determine if your truck needs replacement parts or repairs:
- The first thing you need to do is check the oil level on your truck each time you fill up with fuel. If the level is low, then there could be an internal problem with the engine that causes excessive oil consumption. This could lead to major damage in the future if left unchecked.
- If your truck has been consuming more oil than normal over time, then you should take it to a mechanic right away so they can check it out thoroughly before any further damage occurs.
- Another common problem with this model of vehicle is that the exhaust manifold can crack due to extreme heat from driving at high speeds over long distances.
How can I make my 6.4 PowerStroke last Longer?
There are many things you can do to make your 6.4 Power Stroke last. The first and most important thing is to take care of the engine in all aspects. You should always use high-quality oil and fuel filters and change them regularly.
You should also be sure to use the correct type of fuel and keep the engine tuned up according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Another very important thing you can do is to keep your truck clean! Dirt, grime, mud, and other debris can collect in places like air intakes, exhaust pipes, and other areas where they can restrict or otherwise damage your engine’s performance.
You should also make sure that your truck has proper maintenance performed regularly by a qualified mechanic who knows how to fix 6.4 Power Strokes correctly so that things like timing belts don’t break when you least expect them to!
Costs and prices of any engine replacement depend on level of expertise required to remove the old engine, size of the engine, availability, and cost of used parts, which parts need to be replaced, and numerous other factors.