Ford’s F150 is a versatile truck and I have discovered it is very handy for both personal and commercial use. Be it moving around with the family or hauling tools and equipment between job sites. I am curious about the F150’s towing capacity, how much of a load can this Ford handle?
F150 Towing Capacity by Engine Size
The Ford F150 comes in a variety of builds and each build has its own carrying capacity:
- 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 – 8,200-pound maximum towing capacity, 290 hp / 265 lb-ft of torque.
- 2.7L EcoBoost V6 – 10,000-pound maximum towing capacity. 325 hp / 400 lb-ft of torque.
- 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 – 13,000-pound maximum towing capacity, 400 hp / 410 lb-ft of torque
- 3.0L Power Stroke V6 Diesel Engine – 12,100-pound maximum towing capacity, 250 hp / 440 lb-ft of torque.
- 3.5L EcoBoost V6 – 14,000-pound maximum towing capacity. 400 hp / 500 lb-ft of torque.
- 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 – 12,700-pound maximum towing capacity, 430 hp / 570 lb-ft of torque. Factors affecting
Factors affecting tow capacity on a Ford F150
The type of engine you choose can determine the limit to your tow capacity. There are more factors to look at that can even improve or reduce the towing capacity your car has:
Engine horsepower and torque, Drivetrain
4×4 gives traction but also adds to the weight-reducing the car’s tow capacity, Cab/bed configuration, Axle ratio,
the amount of weight you add to your truck (including cargo and passengers) reduces your overall towing capacity.
The Payload capacity on the Ford F150
The Ford F150 has a payload capacity of about 3325 pounds making it capable of out-hauling any light-duty or full-size pick-up. For the most proficient haulage specs, the cab needs to be regular with a two-wheel drive, an 8 ft. bed, and a 5-Litre V8 engine. Each powertrain here has its own maximum payload.
- 3.3-liter V-6: 1,985 lbs
- 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6: 2,480 lbs
- 5.0-liter V-8: 3,325 lbs
- 3.0-liter Power Stroke V-6, turbo-diesel: 1,840 lbs
- 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6: 3,250 lbs
- 3.5-liter PowerBoost V-6, hybrid: 2,120 lbs
(This list is according to the Motortrend)
The configuration you have on your F150 can have a bearing on the weight your truck is able to manage:
It can seat 3 people maximum and has a maximum towing capacity of about 13300 pounds ·
This one can seat 5-6 people and has a maximum towing capacity of 14000 pounds · The SuperCrew – has the same carrying capacity as the Supercab however it boasts more headspace and legroom.
The F150’s Towing Technology
To help with navigating the city streets and highways Ford has equipped the F150 with a few high-tech systems. The Blind Spot Information System, BLIS, is a system that watches the side blind spots and will alert of any unseen hazard.
To help you change lanes easily BLIS has Tow Coverage which monitors the whole length of your vehicle including the trailer. Trailer Sway Control comes standard on all trims as well.
This system selectively applies brakes and steering adjustments as needed to counteract and control trailer sway.
The standard Rear View Camera can help you navigate while you back up, whereas Dynamic Hitch Assist guidelines make it easier to line up your trailer and hitch when you are getting ready to hit the road.
SelectShift is an automatic transmission system that assists you to accommodate your weight thanks to its 8 selectable drive modes.
Included is Tow/Haul mode, which calibrates your shift schedules to accommodate the heavyweight. Preventing the transmission from using precious time and fuel to search for the right gear.
The Max Trailer Tow Package includes:
- Electronic-locking rear axle
- Integrated trailer brake controller
- Class IV trailer hitch receiver
- Smart Trailer Tow Connector
- 36-gallon fuel tank
- Upgraded rear bumper
- Pro Trailer Backup Assist This package is optional on the XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels. (Andy Mohr, Ford)
Which f150 has the most towing capacity?
When looking at the different engines and towing capacity, the 5.0-liter v8 engine is the best choice. This engine has the most towing capacity of any other engine, with the ability to tow 13000 pounds. This is offered for many models with different options and trims
Final Words on Ford F 150 Towing Capacity
Ford has a lot of options to facilitate haulage with the F150. Different drivetrains make it possible to increase the towing capacity of your vehicle. The engine you are using plays a big part in your towing capacity. The Tow Package that comes optional on the trims, as well as the technology Ford has made available, does make the F150 an impressive machine.